Maintain a youthful body and mind by following the tips listed below.
The fountain of youth is more than just a dream for some people. It’s a reality because of the choices they make day in and day out. Rather than allow the body to age prematurely, they elect to do things that slow down the aging process and reap the rewards well into the future. If you’re the type of person who feels young at heart and want to keep your body and mind in excellent shape, there are things you can do to prevent yourself from aging too rapidly. Some suggestions may be things you’re already doing while others can easily be worked into your current routine.
Here are ten ways to slow down the aging process right now:
- Get a check-up once a year. Just like you need to service a car to keep it running, you must seek medical care to keep your body in excellent shape. Make it a priority to see your primary care physician yearly for an annual physical. Doing so helps prevent serious medical conditions and diseases from going undetected. You’ll be able to make adjustments to your lifestyle based on your doctor’s suggestions. Doing so will help you age gracefully and prevent illness from wreaking havoc on your life.
- Eat a diet that consists of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, and lean protein. Nutrition is a vital part of health and wellness. The foods that you eat can help or harm you. After all, your body survives on the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients you supply to it. Eat a well-rounded diet full of fresh, not processed, foods. Try to eat produce in its natural state as much as possible. That way, you don’t cook out all the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients the fruits and vegetables contain. Add healthy fats such as olive oil to your salads and dishes. Swap out starches for whole grains which are better for you overall. Think quinoa and barley opposed to white rice.
- Make exercise a priority. Among the best ways to slow down the aging process is to become physically fit. By making exercise a priority, you accomplish many things. First, you keep your body at a healthy weight. Doing so prevents obesity and a myriad of diseases related to being overweight such as heart disease and diabetes. Next, you benefit from a boost of endorphins which provide you with energy and give you a healthy, youthful glow. Exercising regularly gives you a sense of purpose, allows you to think straight when something is bothering you, and gives you a chance to meet other people who value their health as much as you do.
- Learn how to manage stress productively. Don’t let things that are out of your control upset you. Find new and improved ways to de-stress after a long day. There are many ways you can do that. Working out is one. Another is meditating for at least five minutes. You’ll clear your mind and focus only on your breath. It’s a very good way to deal with stress in a positive way so it doesn’t take over your life. Besides, you’ll get worry lines which age your face quickly.
- Wear sunscreen year-round. Harmful UVA and UVB rays cause the skin to age fast. If you don’t want to look older than you really are, sunscreen is a must. It’s not just direct sunlight you need it for, too. The harsh lighting in some office buildings and businesses can also prematurely age your skin. Make it a point to use a moisturizer with SPF in it. Ladies who wear makeup can also choose a foundation with sun protecting ingredients.
- Challenge your mind in new and exciting ways. Keep your brain young and alert by doing things differently than you’re used to doing them. Routine is boring and doesn’t engage your brain the way it should. Switch things up by going a different route to the gym, using your non-dominant hand to do certain things, reading books in different genres than you’re used to reading, and even learning a language that isn’t your own.
- Get plenty of rest. Aim for seven to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep daily. One of the easiest ways to make this happen is to start a bedtime routine that helps you relax. Turn off your phone and tablet for the night so you’re not bothered by alerts or the light that the devices emit. Rest is restorative and helps you feel like you’re young by giving you the energy that you need to tackle the day.
- Allow water to be your beverage of choice. Good old H2O has a cleansing effect on the body. It removes impurities and toxins naturally. It helps your skin maintain its texture and moisture. When you’re dehydrated, your skin looks dull and feels dry. It makes you age considerably in a matter of no time. Make it a point to carry a refillable water bottle with you wherever you go. That way, you’re able to quench your thirst, stay clear-minded, and better maintain your current weight with every sip you take.
- Surround yourself with loving and supportive people. When your life is full of the good stuff, stress doesn’t age you. You have the type of relationships that are mutual and nurturing. Your inner circle encourages and supports you which helps you pursue your fitness goals. They drive you to be the best you can be physically and mentally which helps you look and feel young.
- Give yourself some downtime between obligations. Do more of the things you want to do and less of the things you don’t. It’s easy once you’ve determined what your unique purpose is. You’ll know precisely why you do what you do. You’ll then have less time for things that don’t fill you up and make you feel young. The more you say no to others and yes to yourself, the better things are for you. Self-care is an absolute necessity these days. In fact, you’re able to be a bigger asset to other people when you’re 100% certain your needs are being met.
Good health awaits you all the days of your life. The sooner you start working out, eating right, and making self-care a priority, the better able you are to maintain a youthful body and mind. Do what you can now to slow down the aging process and prevent degenerative diseases from occurring in your body. You’ll live a longer, happier, and healthier life because of the decisions you made today.