Last Updated on August 13, 2021 by JP
One of the key pieces of machinery in an at-home gym has to be a stationary bike, but choosing the right one can be quite daunting.
In this article, we have listed 5 recumbent stationary bikes in order for you to find ease in deciding on one. Each bike caters to a different need, including a range of prices and how much space they take up.
All 5 of these bikes will help you achieve your fitness goals from the comfort of your own home.
Best Recumbent Bike for Apartment (Our Review)
Best for Small Spaces: Exerpeutic Gold 525XLR Folding Recumbent Exercise Bike
We could not recommend this Exerpeutic gold 525xlr folding recumbent exercise bike more – with a 400 lb maximum capacity, budget-friendly price, and over 1250 reviews, this bike will become your best fitness friend instantly.
The most crucial element to this bike is its ability to fold to almost half of its size, creating an accessible and easy machine that you can use at home and easily pack away again, perfect for apartments, shared housing, or a simple lack of space.
As a bonus, thanks to the 400 lb maximum capacity this bike is also a perfect beginner bike, accommodating to all shapes and sizes for you to achieve your fitness goals.
The Exerpeutic gold 525xlr folding recumbent exercise bike comes equipped with a computer that tracks and monitors your progress as well as switches off automatically after a few minutes of no cycling.
- Won’t irritate neighbors if you live in an apartment or shared housing.
- Bike folds itself almost half of its size.
- The seat can be adjusted with 2 levels.
- The mid-range price makes it accessible to all levels of fitness.
- Can be a bit hard and uncomfortable, but a simple solution would be purchasing a gel cushion or a bit of padding for the seated area.
- According to certain reviews, after a few weeks, this bike can tend to make a semi-loud clicking sound that can be irritating to some. Easily fixed up putting on the TV or some music.
Best for Beginners: Xspec Recumbent Upright Indoor Cycling Foldable Stationary Exercise Bike
One of the attractive features of this bike is its ability to fold into small spaces, making it not only perfect for beginners but also for people who don’t have a lot of space but want to get into fitness.
The maximum weight of 220 lbs makes it a great addition to a shared household or a family home. Being able to accommodate a wide range of weights means that everyone in the family can make use of the bike, from children to grandparents.
The wheels on the bike make it even more compact for apartments or small spaces. Thanks to its ability to wheel it around your space you could exercise in the lounge with the TV on then fold and wheel your bike back to your bedroom for storage.
As a foldable recumbent exercise bike, it works best for people taller than 5’2 and goes all the way to people over 6 ft.
- The xspec dual recumbent upright indoor cycling foldable exercise bike is just that – foldable.
- The combined seat and backrest ensure a comfortable and enjoyable exercise experience.
- The 16-level magnetic tension function allows you to increase your strength over a wide range of levels
- Comes in numerous colors.
- The 220 lbs maximum weight can make the bike unavailable for certain people.
- The seat can be a bit wobbly depending on your weight.
Best for Upgrading Your Home Gym: Stamina InTone Folding Recumbent Bike
The InTone folding recumbent bike aims to tone the lower body as well as train and improve your cardiovascular strength.
This bike aims to improve overall fitness, not lose weight, so we would not recommend it to a beginner but rather to someone who wants to add an additional exercise to their at-home gym.
With the semi-reclined seat, your body is in the optimal position to work your lower body muscles but allow your upper body to rest, letting the majority of your energy be spent in your lower body.
As a basic but powerful machine, the stamina intone recumbent bike is a perfect addition to your home thanks to its low price, foldability, and semi-reclined stance.
Attached to the bike is a small fitness monitor that shows your time and distance spent riding as well as your speed and calories burnt.
The InTone folding recumbent bike is easy to set up as it comes with its own tools, as well as fold away when you need more space.
- The foldability of the bike means that you can use it wherever in your home then easily fold it back up for storage space.
- Due to its magnetic gear system, the bike is very quiet and would not disturb or disrupt anybody.
- The price of this bike is relatively cheap for its strength and durability.
- Its basic abilities are perfect for an at-home gym to maintain fitness levels.
- The maximum weight this bike can carry is 250 lbs, not making it accessible for heavier people / heavier beginners.
- Similarly, the bike cannot accommodate anyone over 6ft as their legs would not fit under the handles.
Best to Improve Fitness Levels: SCHWINN 270 Recumbent Bike
The Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike is a great higher-level bike that will improve your overall fitness, stamina, strength, and cardiovascular strength.
This compact recumbent bike has a lot to offer, including:
- Bluetooth connectivity for fitness tracking.
- 29 different workout programs you can use.
- 25 levels of resistance.
- Built-in bottle holder, and
- A USB charging port.
With over 2500 5-star reviews from both young and old, injured and non-injured, this bike is perfect for every level of fitness and will no doubt become a staple in your at-home gym.
With a maximum weight of 325 lbs, this recumbent bike is a perfect in-the-middle for all ages and weights, ideal for a family home gym or even a shared house at-home gym.
The ideal recumbent position helps to alleviate back pain and allows you to fully focus on your lower body resistance and speed, making it an exemplary bike for athletes, people with injuries, older people with degenerative problems, and your average joe looking to improve their fitness levels.
- Easy to set up at home, taking on average 45 minutes to 1 hour with available tools.
- Comfortable padded seat with a ventilated backrest for optimum airflow.
- Even as a bigger machine and motor it is extremely quiet and will not disrupt others.
- Due to its easily adjustable seats, people of all weights and heights can fit in and on it, ranging from 5’2 to over 6’1.
- Extremely pricey compared to the other recumbent bikes we have listed, but for the value and functions, it has, if you have the money you should spend it.
- Does not fold, so takes up quite a bit more space than a foldable bike.
Best Overall: Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike
The Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike is one of the most popular at-home bikes on the market, making it a great entry-level bike as well as a trustworthy and safe option.
With over 11,000 5-start reviews, this bike is guaranteed to become your favorite piece of gym equipment.
Thanks to the very comfortable and padded seat, you could easily watch television, listen to music, or even read a book whilst still working on, toning, and strengthening your lower body.
Extremely easy to assemble and made with durable materials.
It is a compact bike so it will not take up much room in your space.
- With 8 different resistance levels, you can improve your resilience over time and gain strength.
- The comfortable padded seat ensures an enjoyable session every time you use this bike.
- The wheels on the bottom of the bike make it easy to move around your space.
- The adjustable seat caters to a variety of heights.
- The computer screen can be tricky to see in certain lighting.
- Difficult to change the seat position, so using it as a shared bike could be tricky.
As seen, we’ve put together a list of the best recumbent stationary bikes out there, so hopefully, you have found your match.
Finally, our top pick would have to be the Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike. Its popularity proves it’s worth it, and we highly recommend checking it out. With the 8 resistance levels and the comfort of the seat, we truly think you will find ease in working out on this bike.
You Should Also Consider Reading These Articles.
- Best Treadmills for 2021
- Best Spin Bike for 2021
- Best Rowing Machines for 2021
- Best Pull Up Bars of 2021
- How to Start Your Fitness Journey
- 10 Healthy Habits
- Strength Training for Beginners
- The Power of Positivity
- Staying Active When You’re Busy
- Best Home Gym for 2021
- Best Elliptical for 2021
- Best Leg Stretching Machine