Last Updated on February 12, 2021 by Jeff
The NordicTrack A.C.T. Commercial has been around for years now and is a center drive elliptical from the A.C.T. series created by NordicTrack. Each year, the A.C.T. Commercial elliptical trainer (NTEL71014) gets upgraded, but this popular model remains on the market at a comparably affordable price. The main difference in working out on a center drive elliptical, rather than front or rear, is that the flywheel is positioned next to the foot pedals, helping to keep you more upright during your workout. Additionally, the pedals tend to be closer together and can be more manageable on the hips. Some trainees find this more comfortable than the front or rear drives, but it is largely a matter of personal preference.
This current version of the A.C.T. Commercial has been upgraded to include a personal tablet holder right above the 5” dual-tone, backlit display console, so you can watch your favorite content while you workout. In addition, an overall sleeker design has been applied, and resistance levels have been added, now giving you a range of levels up to 24. Its slender, space-saving design is also a perk, taking up more of a small square space rather than a long rectangular shape as is typically found with the front or rear drive ellipticals.
While the NordicTrack A.C.T. Commercial has a simpler entertainment console than some of the more recent models, it is still packed with 32 workout apps, iFit Coach capabilities, a heart rate monitor, and quick, responsive controls. For the price and features, this model can easily be considered the best value within the series.
- Height: 64.25”
- Width: 31.5”
- Length: 54.0”
- Item weight: Not Available
- Max user weight: 350 lbs
- Integrated tablet holder secures your personal tablet device for your favorite music and movies during your workout
- 5” backlit display with a wide viewing angle lets you track your progress on a visual, quarter-mile racetrack in live time:
- Calories burned
- And more
- Immersive fitness with iFit Coach brings you infinite workouts and keeps track of your nutrition, sleep, exercise, and daily activity
- 32 built-in workouts designed by certified personal trainers
- Calorie workouts
- Performance workouts
- Training workouts
- Dual CardiogripTM heart rate monitoring sensors built into both handlebars for a quick and accurate reading
- Dual 2-inch built-in speaker system allows you to plug in your own iPod device and workout to your favorite music
- AutoBreezeTM fan adjusts to your speed as you work out, keeping you cool and comfortable
- OneTouchTM controls allow you to easily and quickly change your resistance digitally to ensure a smooth ride
- Frame: Lifetime
- Parts: 3 years
- Labor: 1 year
- NordicTrack also provides a 30-day money back guarantee
Shipping and Assembly:
- Note: Shipping is currently free if you buy here on the official NordicTrack website.
- The A.C.T. Commercial can easily be assembled at home using the provided instructions.
What We Love About the NordicTrack A.C.T. Commercial Elliptical:
Design & Drive System
The A.C.T. Commercial elliptical is a great piece of entry-level equipment when it comes to design. As mentioned earlier, the center drive design is ideal for protecting the joints, hips, and maintaining a more upright posture, which some trainees may find to be more comfortable. The 25-pound flywheel, or anchor, also makes the A.C.T. Commercial elliptical a sturdy model, and the extra pounds will help your stride feel a bit more like the smooth commercial gym ellipticals you may have tried.
Another great design element is the feature that allows you to change your stride to 18”, 20”, or 22”, which is ideal for families who may be sharing this piece of equipment. One drawback to the center drive ellipticals, however, is that there is no adjustable incline, so you will be somewhat limited to the resistance as the main determinant of the intensity of your workout.
For the price, the NordicTrack ACT Commercial provides a very sturdy, compact, comfortable, and effective experience for the entry-level trainee. If a high definition, full-color touchscreen isn’t a priority, the elliptical may be a great option for you, as it still boasts an impressive 32 built-in workout programs from you to choose from, and if you have a personal tablet, you can secure it above the console to select the entertainment of your choice.
This is a smart elliptical, designed with all of the nuts and bolts you need to get into shape, but it doesn’t go as far as to get you the full entertainment system and console that some of the more expensive ellipticals do in the A.C.T. series. Whereas on other ellipticals you may be able to run with Google Maps Street View, for example. the A.C.T. Commercial console is limited to the display of a racetrack, which may become monotonous for some.
Final Word on the NordicTrack A.C.T. Commercial Elliptical:
For a compact elliptical with a many benefits including a small footprint, a heavy flywheel, and a smart, center drive design, the NordicTrack A.C.T. Commercial elliptical comes in at a great price. However, if state-of-the art technology and entertainment programs are of the utmost importance to you, this model may fall short. That also goes for its adjustable features, for which it lacks when compared to other models. However, as a basic, entry-level, household piece of gym equipment, the A.C.T. Commercial elliptical could be an ideal fit. Rating: 91/100.