Last Updated on February 12, 2021 by JP
Let’s get started – FreeStride Trainer Overview:
The NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS5i is the budget-friendly version of the FreeStride Trainer series, for which there are also the more expensive models, the FreeStride Trainers FS7i and FS9i. This model features a center-drive design and three training modalities in total: Combine the benefits of a stepper, a treadmill, and an elliptical in just one, compact machine. The FreeStride Trainer series also utilizes an innovative floating suspension system, which uses belts to virtually eliminate all impact and give you one of the smoothest rides available. Changing your ride is quick and easy with the 32-inch adjustable stride and 22 levels of resistance.
In addition to its versatility as three machines in one, the FreeStride Trainer FS5i has a small footprint, is easy to assemble (unlike many at-home treadmills), and has transport wheels attached for quick storage after workouts. The FS5i also has 32 built-in workout apps ranging from calorie burning, to intensity and performance training, however, the console itself doesn’t offer much visual entertainment. The screen is a simple 7-inch backlit screen with a display for stats, but this pales in comparison to the web-enabled touchscreens you’ll find on the FreeStride Trainers FS7i and FS9i. If entertainment and rich media is important to you during a workout session, the upgraded models may be a better fit for you, or, you can attach your own personal tablet using the integrated tablet holder. Overall, sacrificing the state-of-the-art entertainment system is ultimately how NordicTrack is able to offer a FreeStride Trainer at this lower price.
The FS5i trainer comes with a 10 year warranty for the frame, a 2-year warranty for the parts, and a 1-year warranty for labor. For beginners who are looking to have low-to-moderate intensity workouts with tons of variety and adjustability, the FreeStride Trainer FS5i is an innovative and popular option of good value.
- Height: 74”
- Width: 29.5”
- Length: 58.5”
- Max user weight: 350 lbs
- Backlit 7” display tracks your speed, time, distance, pulse, and calories burned, with the option to view your progress on a virtual quarter-mile racetrack
- 32 built-in workout apps allow you to keep your training programs varied and effective and include calorie burning, intensity, and performance apps designed by certified personal trainers
- Auto-adjustable stride combines the benefits of a treadmill, elliptical, and stepper into one using an innovative floating suspension design
- Adding an iFit membership allows you to infinitely expand your workout options with additional trainers and the ability to train using Google Maps
- 22 digital resistance levels are easy and convenient to adjust using OneTouch controls
- AutoBreeze oversized fan auto-adjusts to your speed, keeping you cool throughout your workout
- OneTouch digital controls let you quickly adjust your workout without having to pause
- Frame: 10 years
- Parts: 2 years
- Labor: 1 year
- NordicTrack also provides a 30-day money back guarantee
Shipping and Assembly:
- We’re not sure how long this deal will last, but you can click here now for free shipping on NordicTrack.com.
- The FreeStride Trainer FS5i can easily be assembled at home using the provided instructions.
What We Love About the FreeStride Trainer FS5i:
3 Machines in 1!
The innovative floating suspension system on the FreeStride Trainer FS5i gives you the benefits of a stepper, elliptical, and treadmill, all in one. If you want to change your workout, all you have to do is change your stride: the floating design mechanism can be adjusted into short up-and-down steps as well as long, 32-inch strides. This is a very unique feature of an at-home gym that gives you loads of versatility in your workouts.
Also because of the innovative belt design, the FreeStride Trainer FS5i offers a very low impact workout on your joints for safer training sessions.
Entertainment + Console
Unlike the more premium models in the series, the FreeStride Trainer FS5i does not come with many bells and whistles in the entertainment department. For the price, you’ll get a simple backlit display to show your stats, a virtual racetrack, and 32 built-in apps designed by certified personal trainers. For some, this may be enough. However, for those looking for a more entertainment-rich experience, the FreeStride Trainers FS7i and FS9i both come with web-enabled touchscreens and may be a better fit given your preferences. However, if you do own a personal tablet, you can attach it above the display using the integrated tablet holder.
The FreeStride Trainer FS5i comes with a 16-pound flywheel, or anchor, which is on the lighter end of the spectrum. Heavy flywheels are a hallmark of smooth workout experiences, so if you are an experienced trainee and you’re looking to have intense workouts, the FreeStride Trainer FS5i may not be the right fit. For beginners, this shouldn’t be a problem, and the ride will feel smooth as long as the intensity is kept relatively low-to-moderate.
Final Word on the FreeStride Trainer FS5i:
The FreeStride Trainer FS5i is a unique, innovative and versatile value purchase among the series of FreeStride Trainers from NordicTrack. The FS5i combines the benefits of three machines—the stepper, elliptical, and treadmill—into one with its floating suspension system and low-impact workouts. For beginners looking for low-to-moderate intensity workouts who don’t need state-of-the-art entertainment technology, the FS5i could be a great purchase. For expert-level trainees, or those who desire a more advanced entertainment package, the FS7i or FS9i models may be a better fit to look into. Rating: 95/100.