Last Updated on
Upright Bike Overview:
You can’t deny quality when you see it and that is exactly what you see with the Precor UBK 835 Commercial Series Upright Exercise Bike. Every design feature of the bike is premium quality from the frame to the internal components to the seat and pedal design. This upright exercise bike is extremely ergonomically-friendly and Precor definitely did their homework to get the biomechanics correct on this upright exercise bike.
As nicely designed as this UBK 835 Commercial Series Upright Exercise Bike is, it doesn’t have all of the bells and whistles that we would expect at this price point. You do get 25 levels of resistance and 12 pre-programmed workouts on the console, but that’s about it. They provide option equipment like a 15” display and iPod/iPhone compatibility, but we would expect stuff like that to be included in the price. Precor also fails to include a heart rate chest strap monitor, though the bike will work with one, or even a fan to keep you cool while exercising. This is definitely a well built machine, but it could be better equipped.
- Height: 62”
- Width: 21”
- Length: 48”
- Item weight: 160 lbs
- Max user weight: 350 lbs
- Two-step powder-coating process applies rust-resistant undercoat and cosmetic topcoat to steel frame.
- The bottom bracket assembly uses a hardened steel shaft with deep-groove sealed precision ball bearings designed for smooth operation and exceptional service life.
- Covers are attached with minimal hardware and can be removed without taking off the pedals and cranks.
- Ergonomic saddle design with comfort groove. 10.5” width quickly tapers to a narrow nose for improved riding comfort. Optional universal seat post allows easy installation of different saddle types.
- A new over-molded handlebar design offers the user three comfortable riding positions-upright, cruising and road. In the road position, the ergonomic-shaped handlebars position the wrists in a natural, neutral position. The wide width of the handlebars provide stability and comfort along the entire forearm. The overall width of the handlebars is similar to indoor cycling bikes, which is narrower than most stationary bikes. This places the user in better ergonomic position with the forearms more directly under the shoulders. In the cruising position, the wide handlebar is more comfortable on the user’s hands. Touch heart rate is integrated in the upright and road-race positions.
- For double the convenience, dual-sided pedals allow the rider to use the pedals with or without the integrated pedal strap. The extra wide pedal comfortably accommodates feet of all sizes.
- To achieve proper pedaling biomechanics, the seat post and seat post offset from the crank is key to aide in efficient pedaling and reduced shear force on the knee. The seat post angle is 74 degrees with a 5” offset from the crank axle. This places the forward knee directly over the ball of the foot when the pedals are in a horizontal position.
- 3-piece crank tightens positively, reducing the need for periodic adjustments. The 170 mm crank arm accepts any standard road or mountain bike pedal.
- The two-stage drive system yields a smooth, comfortable, quiet operation with a lower start-up resistance and more consistent resistance progression than single-stage drive systems.
- Belt drive for smoother, quieter operation and reduced maintenance.
- Touch heart rate sensors conveniently located on the handlebars in both the upright and road positions. Integrated telemetry heart rate reads heart rate from a user’s heart rate chest strap. Works with any Polar® compatible 5 KHz chest strap transmitter.
- 25 levels of eddy current brake resistance.
- Accessories holder.
- Integrated transport wheels.
- Large LED display.
- 12 preset workout programs:
- Cross Country
- Custom Resistance
- Weight Loss
- Basic Heart Rate Control
- Fitness Test
- Hill Climb
- Watts Control
- Display readouts include:
- Heart Rate Profile
- Time Elapsed
- Time Remaining
- Percent Complete
- Workout Summary
- Heart Rate Analysis
- Frame and Welds: Lifetime
- Parts and Wear Items: 10 years
- Labor: 1 year
Shipping and Assembly:
Shipping costs will vary for the Precor UBK 835 Commercial Series Upright Exercise Bike depending on where you purchase from and what type of delivery you prefer. However, some retailers, such as Amazon.com, will provide free shipping.
Most of the parts on the Precor UBK 835 Commercial Series Upright Exercise Bike are pre-assembled so your part isn’t that difficult. Using the highly illustrated assembly manual that Precor provides, the process will take you 30 minutes to an hour to complete.
What We Love About the Precor UBK 835 Upright Exercise Bike:
It’s hard to match the quality of the Precor UBK 835 Commercial Series Upright Exercise Bike. This is after all a commercial grade upright bike. It’s designed to take a gym atmosphere beating, 24-hours a day, every day. Precor designed quality into every aspect of this machine. The strong steel frame, rust-resistant powder coating, sealed ball bearings, two-stage belt drive and 3-piece crank system provide a solid and unparalleled structure and internal mechanisms. Precor also provided equal quality on the seat and pedals ensuring that every aspect of the biomechanics are in line for a comfortable and smooth riding experience. On top of all of that, Precor provides an excellent lifetime frame warranty and 10 year parts warranty. This bike is sure to last a very long time in your home.
Price & Options
As good as the quality of the Precor UBK 835 Commercial Series Upright Exercise Bike is, it is still hard to defend the hefty price tag. Yes, this is a commercial grade machine, but for home use, you kind find equal quality and a t far cheaper price. For starters, the UBK 835 does not include a chest strap heart rate monitor. For nearly $4,000, we would expect one. Also, while the console is large and visually appealing, it only comes with 12 preset programs. There are exercise bikes in the $300-500 range that offer close to 30 preset programs and connectivity to apps that provide an almost endless library of exercise options. This bike even provides iPod/iPhone compatibility as an option…that’s not right. Another issue is that the seat can only adjust vertically and has no fore/aft adjustments to accommodate riders of different sizes. Even worse, this bike has no fan! For the price of the UBK 835 Commercial Series Upright Exercise Bike, we would expect Precor to look beyond the premium construction and also provide some modern conveniences.
Final Word on the Precor UBK 835 Commercial Series Upright Stationary Bike:
If you have the money to spend, the Precor UBK 835 Commercial Series Upright Exercise Bike’s quality is hard to match. This gym-style bike will definitely last you a lifetime at home. That being said, Precor offers little more than premium construction on this upright bike. This bike has 25 levels of eddy current brake resistance and 12 preset workout programs, but we would expect a lot more extras with this price tag. Make sure you take a look at some of our other reviews to see what you can get for a much smaller investment.