Last Updated on
When you travel, do you stick to your workout plan or do you let your fitness routine go by the wayside in favor of fun and indulgence? Do you find it almost impossible to locate a gym or find the motivation to get out of bed early after a long day of business meetings or sightseeing? How serious are you about getting in and staying in shape if you let a little change of scenery get in the way of your goals?
What if there were ways to keep your exercise routine going strong no matter where you’re currently at in the world? Would you be willing to commit to sticking with your plan? The following list of tips will help you choose the right workouts and tools to use while away from home on a business trip or vacation.
Keeping Up with Your Fitness Goals While Away from Home
Here are some ways to maintain a fitness schedule while traveling:
- Stay in accommodations that offer a gym as an amenity. That way, when the urge hits you to workout, you’ll be able to with great ease. You won’t need to locate a gym in the area, arrange transportation to get there or change your schedule around to make sure that the gym is open when you have time to go. You’ll be able to dress in your workout gear, carry your towel and water bottle, and come back to your room to shower before leaving the hotel for the day’s activities. A gym onsite is among the most important amenities you can ask for when fitness is a priority in your life.
- Get a membership at a gym with locations all over the country. If allowed, visit a different city’s gym each time you travel. You’ll be acquainted with the equipment, classes offered, schedule, and set-up of the gym. You won’t need to pay extra for a daily or weekly pass because it will be part of your original membership costs. Ask your gym if it offers visitor’s passes. If it does, see how many different gyms you can visit in a month’s time especially if you travel frequently.
- Walk, jog or run where you need to go for the day. You’ll get to see more of the city that way. You’ll also burn excess calories, clear your head, and alleviate any stress left in your body from traveling by car, train or air. It’s a free and effective way to get from Point A to Point B and it helps strengthen your body and keep you in great shape while away from home. It’s a great way to accomplish several things at once and allows you to really see the place that you’re visiting.
- Use the furniture in your hotel room as makeshift equipment. There are ways to make the most out of the tools you have available even if there isn’t a gym you can travel to easily. Use chairs, tables, and even towels to assist you with your workouts. You can follow along with a video on your tablet or smartphone or look for an exercise program on TV. Creating playlists of your favorite travel workouts is a good way to maintain a level of familiarity in an unfamiliar location.
- Pack your own nutritious snacks. That way, you’re not forced to eat out a vending machine or a hotel’s store which is usually stocked with fatty, sugary, and salty snacks that aren’t part of your normal diet. Keep some of your favorites packed in your carry-on bag where they’re easy to access once you’ve gotten checked into the hotel. Whole pieces of fresh fruit are portable, easy to eat, and nutritious. You’ll find them almost everywhere you go.
- Use the kitchen in your hotel room to prepare your own meals. Stop by a local supermarket to pick up some fresh ingredients for the week. That way, you’re able to eat the things you’re used to having at home without great difficulty. You won’t spend most of your travel budget on food, and you won’t risk overloading on calories because you’re forced to eat out every meal. If you have access to a refrigerator, make sure you do some meal prep so you aren’t forced to cook from scratch after a long day out.
- Participate in activities that challenge you physically. Being away from home provides you with a great excuse to step outside your comfort zone. Do things you wouldn’t do ordinarily. Go sailing, canoeing, rock climbing, and cliff diving. Challenge your body to feats that you’ve yet to try. It will make the experience even more incredible in your mind when you think back to it.
There are many things you can do to increase your success while traveling. You can call area fitness centers to see what they offer in the event your hotel’s gym doesn’t meet your expectations. You can go on sightseeing tours by foot or bike so you’re able to get a good workout in while taking in all the sights. You can even take part in healthy cooking classes so that you’re able to meal prep in the company’s kitchen to take back to your hotel room if you only have access to a fridge.
The more creative you get in your approach to maintaining your fitness schedule while traveling, the more fun it becomes. It won’t be the same old routine you do at home. In fact, you may have a few tweaks to make to it once you’re done traveling thanks to the new experiences that you’ve had.
Learn to Enjoy Exercising in Different Locations
Keep plugging away at your fitness goals no matter where in the world you’re at. Whether you travel for business or for pleasure, one thing is certain. You’ll not miss a workout because you’re not at home. In fact, travel provides you with a great opportunity to explore your surroundings, get to know the locals, and take your fitness regimen to another region of the globe where others might appreciate it, too.