Last Updated on September 14, 2021 by Jeff
Recumbent Bike Overview:
ProForm has a good reputation for delivering highly professional exercise equipment and the 440 ES Recumbent Bike is no exception. This recumbent exercise bike has 25 levels of digital resistance that provide a smooth transition between intensities and a quick pedaling experience. Some other top notch components include a strong 3-piece crank system with a freewheel clutch, extra wide foot pedals and an oversized, comfortable seat.
Like many of ProForm’s other exercise equipment, one of the 440 ES Exercise Bike’s best features is its computer. This computer has 32 programmed workouts designed by fitness trainers for intense workouts. It is also iFit® compatible, which greatly increase your exercise options. The computer also allows you to use a chest strap to monitor your heart rate if you do not like using the dual grips on the bike itself. Finally, the computer keeps you connected with a port for you phone, iPod or MP3 player. The ProForm computers are hard to match.
- Height: 58.9”
- Width: 22.25”
- Length: 52”
- Max user weight: 350 lbs
- 18 lb effective flywheel for a smooth, steady pedal stroke that just feels right. Fast gear ratio and effective weight placement mean you can count on a high-quality bike that will last.
- 25 levels of digital silent magnetic resistance provide a smooth, quit ride while you adjust your workout intensity.
- Built-in dual-grip heart rate sensors help you monitor your heart rate throughout your workout. This bike is also BLE compatible; wireless chest strap sold separately.
- Oversized seat has added cushioning and easily adjusts so you find the perfect fit. Plus, the extra lumbar support really helps line up your posture so your back doesn’t ache while you ride.
- 3-piece crank separates the spindle from the crank creating a stronger, more durable design and more realistic biking experience.
- Freewheel clutch provides a circular motion that is smooth and natural so you can maintain your form and pedalling technique just like you would outdoors.
- Extra wide ergonomic foot pedals with straps are designed to keep your feet in place, increase stability and keep you comfortable.
- Integrated tablet holder keeps your tablet secure and conveniently close so you have access to all your training tools and entertainment.
- CoolAireTM workout fan with two speed settings keeps you cool during your most intense workouts.
- Adjustable levelling feet keep your bike stable on uneven surfaces.
- Transport wheels to easily move the bike around the room for simple storage.
- Water bottle holder to stay hydrated throughout your workout.
- 5” backlit display has a large viewing angle so no matter your height, you can always keep track of your workout progress.
- iFit® Live mode enables you to communicate with your wireless network where you can download personalized workouts, create your own workouts, track results, race against other runners and many other features.
- Compatible music port for iPod®. Plus, a USB charging station is included for your phone or MP3 player.
- 32 built-in workouts that take the guesswork out of your workout by automatically adjusting the resistance of the exercise bike for increased intensity.
- Workout data includes:
- Calories burned (Cals & Cals/Hr)
- Frame: Lifetime
- Parts: 2 years
- Labor: 1 year
Shipping and Assembly:
Shipping cost for the ProForm 440 ES Exercise Bike will vary in price depending on where you purchase from and what type of delivery you prefer. However, if you purchase through Amazon.com, shipping is free for this machine.
Assembling the 440 ES is a quick process. Most of the main pieces are pre-assembled, so you’re only connecting the pieces together. Along with the detailed instruction manuals, one person should be able to complete assembly in under an hour. With two people it will go faster because so of the pieces are quite heavy.
What We Love About the ProForm 440 ES Recumbent Exercise Bike:
Quality & Warranty
There are a lot of nice recumbent bikes in the same price range as the ProForm 440 ES Recumbent Bike. They’re all constructed well and have great and very similar components and features. The one thing that sets the 440 ES apart is the warranty. Where nearly all other manufacturer’s are providing 5 and 10 year warranties, ProForm is providing a lifetime frame warranty on the 440 ES. This speaks well for ProForm as they truly believe that they have a quality bike that can take whatever you got.
Like most ProForm models, the 440 ES Exercise Bike has a great computer packed with programmed workouts and additional capabilities. There are 32 built-in workouts designed by certified professional trainers that will automatically adjust resistance while you exercise. The 440 Exercise Bike is also iFit® compatible, which allows you to essentially bike all across the world with Google MapsTM routes. This computer also allows for the connection and charging of a phone, iPod® or MP3 player so that you can have some musical motivation while exercising.
Add-Ons at a Cost
Like many other recumbent bikes in this price range, the manufacturers equip them well and drawbacks truly are difficult to find. I guess if we had to identify something it is that ProForm provides some great capabilities for the 440 ES Exercise Bike, but some require an additional cost. For example, if you don’t already have an iFit® subscription, this will run you another $9-10 per month. Another add-on is the chest strap. You do have the ability to track your pulse through the grips, but if you want to utilize a chest strap, you’ll need to dish out a few more bucks.
Like everything in the world, a recumbent bike has its pros and cons. Learn more about a recumbent bicycle negatives.
Final Word on the ProForm 440 ES Recumbent Bike:
For around $600, the ProForm 440 ES is a great choice. It’s solidly constructed and has great features. Although most recumbent bikes in this price range do also, see our reviews of the Nautilus R616 and Diamondback 510SR. The one thing that the 440 ES Recumbent Bike has that others don’t is a lifetime warranty, which speaks volumes about ProForm’s confidence in their product.